Sylvia Golden Norris has been a licensed Florida attorney since 1991. She has represented Realtors® in ethics and arbitration proceedings, DBPR complaints, mediations, and lawsuits. As legal counsel for the Realtor® Association of Sarasota and Manatee (and its predecessor, the Sarasota Association of Realtors® since 2001), she is uniquely equipped to explain the Code of Ethics and Arbitration Manual requirements and procedures and likewise shares practical advice, helpful hints and best practices. She is an approved Errors & Omissions Professional Liability defense counsel for Lloyds of London, the Pearl/XL Group, General Star, Travelers/St. Paul’s, and Hanover Insurance. Ms. Golden Norris’ experience includes serving as in-house counsel for a number of years for the largest privately held real estate brokerage firm on the west coast of Florida. In addition, having served previously as a title agent for Old Republic and Attorneys Title Insurance Fund, she appreciates the intricacies of title work, and the practical aspects and situations facing Realtors® closing real estate transactions. As a lawyer, published author, and instructor her professional commitment to the Realtor® community began early on in her career and still continues today.
For the past three decades, her contributions to help real estate brokers and sales associates understand their legal duties and how
to avoid claims and violations include her articles on risk management strategies, escrow procedures and policies and Florida statutory requirements under Chapter 475. Florida Realtor® Magazine has published two of her articles on topics related to Escrow Disputes (May 2015) and Short Sales (2010). In 2010, she was honored to receive from Florida Realtor® Magazine its Editorial Excellence Award for her article on short sales, Flips that May Flop! Ms. Golden Norris
regularly presents risk management seminars at the national, state and local Realtor® conferences.
Since establishing her firm in 2000 she has been an active member of the Florida and Sarasota County Bar Associations, and an avid supporter of the Florida Realtors® mission promoting both its educational and professional objectives. She has chaired the Florida Realtors® Local Board Association Council Forum, the Sarasota County Bar Association’s Real Property Section and the Sarasota Attorney/Realtor® Committee. She graduated with honors from Eckerd College with a Bachelor of Arts in Philosophy and German, and she received her Juris Doctorate from the University of Florida in 2 ½ years. In addition to her law degree, Ms. Golden Norris has been a certified Florida Supreme Court Circuit Civil Court Mediator since 1999. In addition, Ms. Golden Norris is an accomplished speaker and author. Her credentials and experience also include the following:
- Legal Counsel for the Realtor® Association of Sarasota and Manatee (2015 – present). Legal Counsel for the Sarasota Association of Realtors® (2001-2014).
- Florida Realtors® CE Express Approved Instructor – Code of Ethics (2015-present). (Approval rating of 98.4%.)
- Florida Supreme Court Certified Circuit Civil Mediator (October 1999 – present).
- Realtor® Association of Sarasota and Manatee Realtor®/Attorney Committee participating member (2002-present), and past subcommittee Chair for Seminars (2015).
- Approved Defense Counsel for numerous Realtor® Errors and Omissions Professional Liability Policy Insurance Underwriters (XL/Pearl, Lloyds of London, General Star, Travelers/St. Paul’s and Hanover).
- 2018 Florida Realtors® Conference & Trade Expo presenter – Code of Ethics.
- Guest Lecturer for the Florida Regional District 13 Conference: Risk Management, Best Practices to Avoid Lawsuits, DBPR and Ethics Complaints (2018).
- Guest Lecturer for the Florida Regional District 13 Conference on FREC Escrow Rules & Compliance.
- May 2015 Florida Realtor® Magazine: Published Article and Infographic: Escrow Disputes: What you Need to Know About the Options and Process.
- 2010 Recipient of the Editorial Excellence Award – Florida Realtor® Magazine – (Short Sales) Flips that May Flop!
- Guest Lecturer for the 2010 Real Estate Team Conference: What You Need to Know About Listing Agreements, Commissions and Liens.
- Past Chair of the Florida Realtors® Local Board Attorneys Council.
- Past Chair of the Sarasota County Bar Association’s Real Property Section.
- Past Chair for Sarasota Realtor® Association’s Realtor®/Attorney Committee.
- Former in-house counsel for the largest, privately owned Real Estate Brokerage firm on Florida’s West Coast.
- Cited Authority for the National Association of Realtors® Magazine on Risk Reduction.
- Guest Lecturer for the National Association of Realtors®, Florida Realtors® and numerous local Realtor® Associations on Risk Reduction Strategies for real estate licensees.
- Guest Lecturer for Coldwell Banker, Century 21 and ERA International Conferences.
- Guest Lecturer for the Florida Real Estate and Law Summit addressing Short Sale Pitfalls and Problems. (2007)
- Guest Lecturer for St. Paul Travelers and Pearl/XL insurance companies on risk reduction strategies for Realtors®.
- Former Authorized Title Insurance Agent with Attorney’s Title Insurance Fund and Old Republic.
- Member of the Florida Bar Association since 1991.
- Member of the Real Property, Probate & Trust Section of the Florida Bar.
- Member of the Sarasota County Bar Association since 1991.